The ideal candidate for this hourly, full-time Purchasing and Procurement Position can demonstrate experience in:
- managing inventory of a perishable product.
- using an in-depth inventory management software system.
- purchasing whole animals as well as proteins and ingredients for food production.
Please review the detailed job description below for more information. Applicants are encouraged to apply in person at Smoking Goose (407 Dorman St. Indianapolis IN 46202) weekdays between 8:30am and 4:30pm. Applicants who cannot apply in person may submit a cover letter and resume to jobs [at] smokinggoose.com No phone calls or social media inquiries, please.
- Weekly purchasing of raw materials, production supplies, and cleaning supplies
- Comparing price, quality, and service for best option
- Completing of physical inventories (monthly)
- Submitting purchase orders for approval
- Placing orders with suppliers
- Monitoring the receipt of raw materials, production supplies, and cleaning supplies
- Monitoring HACCP documentation and tracking of products
- Purchasing within set budgets
- Inspecting product for accuracy and for quality
- Comparing delivery invoices to purchase orders for accuracy
- Working closely with production manager to maintain proper par levels of products and supplies
- Working closely with book keeper to maintain cash flow budget
Food Safety Responsibilities
- Upholds high quality, wholesomeness, and freshness of product
- Oversees and monitors the rotation and stocking of product as it’s received
- Upholds the company's food safety program
- Adheres to all of Goose's standard operating proceducres (SOP) including sanitation (SSOP)
- Adheres to all of Goose's good manufacturing practices (GMP)
- Oversees maintenance and regular cleaning of all raw product storage areas
- Oversees and manages the labeling, rotation, and storage of product
- Inspects incoming and stored products for shelf life, quality, and wholesomeness
- Monitors shipping conditions and temperatures
- Understands and works accordance with Goose's HACCP plan
- Researches and evaluates new suppliers
- Works with farms to continually improve farming practices
- Issues and follows up on newly submitted Producer Information Forms
- Conducts farm visits to verify Producer Information Form data
- Evaluates farms and producers based on Goose's purchasing principles (for more info, please visit http://www.smokinggoose.com/s/SGSources.pdf)
- Works with processors to schedule slaughtering and provides cutting instructions
- Evaluates processors in preferred networks for cleanliness and humane treatment
- Trains processors in cutting instructions
- Acquires Letters of Guarantee from new suppliers
- Leads by example in uniform, personal hygiene, and attitude
- Leads by example in work ethic
- This hourly, full-time position averages 42-50 hours per week, typically 5 days a week and 9-10 hours per day.
- This position is available beginning in August; however, earlier employment may be possible for the right candidate.
How to Apply
- Applicants are encouraged to apply in person at Smoking Goose (407 Dorman St. Indianapolis IN 46202) weekdays between 8:30am and 4:30pm.
- Applicants who cannot apply in person may submit cover letter and resume to jobs [at] smokinggoose.com
- No phone calls or social media inquiries please.